The Chameleon firmware is currently still in the beta version which means there could possibly be some minor bugs and issues within the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 system. In any case, don’t be worried because the xda-developers team will shortly resolve the bugs and update you with a more stable version of the Chameleon OS. Don’t be afraid though, since the current release of the software can be installed on the Galaxy S2 for a daily use, the firmware is not just for testing. Currently, as always, throughout the following lines we will be checking on how you can flash the ROM on your smartphone, so follow each of the steps from below; don’t perform things by yourselves as you possibly can risk in bricking your S2 I9100G device.
The good thing about the Chameleon custom ROM is that it will provide the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean touch to your Samsung Galaxy S2. At the same time you will also enjoy extra features and applications and various other capabilities which can be used for increasing the performances of the device and for updating the Android expertise that runs on the same. The firmware is based on the CM10 platform and it has its own look, therefore, the default Jelly Bean system is going to be replaced instead by a custom one.
Since we are dealing with a custom ROM and not with a stock or official release of the Android 4.2.2 software, you have to prepare your Galaxy S2 for the update operation that will shortly follow.
- First you need to root your Galaxy S2; the ROM need to gain access to some files from the internal system and that access can be granted only once your root your phone.
- Next, after unchaining the system you have to install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, on your device. The custom recovery will be used on the flashing operation since the stock recovery isn’t suitable with update with custom ROMs processes.
- So you ought to know that the warranty of your smartphone will get void. This is certainly occurring when you are rooting and changing the default settings from your Galaxy S2, so be aware as if something wrong happens you will be by yourselves.
- Another note about the warranty: it is possible to restore the same by downgrading or updating your handset to stock / official Android OS; or by applying a un-root operation.
- After that, proceed the preparation steps by performing a backup operation. However by updating your Galaxy S2 I9100G to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with Chameleon Custom ROM, you can lose your entire personal data and files. Therefore, get started with dependable backup and restore applications from Google Play to save the contacts list, sms messages, EFS folder, market apps, call logs, internet settings and everything you might need.
- In addition, use the custom recovery image and apply a Nandroid back-up too; by doing this you can save or restore the stock firmware.
Right after applying the earlier mentioned lines, you have to make certain that: you have access to and use a computer or laptop; your smartphone and its USB cable should be ready; your handset need to be fully charged, or the battery power status is showing that there’s above 60% power left; on your pc and smartphone there shouldn’t be any security tools installed, or else deactivate the antivirus and Firewall programs; and make sure to enable the USB debugging option from your device.
The next steps are compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G therefore don’t try this tutorial if you own a similar Android based smartphone. This is a complex and risky guide and in case you are doing something wrong, then you will risk in bricking your device.
How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100G to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with Chameleon Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the firmware file cos-0.6-20130410-UNOFFICIAL-i9100g.zip and the Google Apps package and save it on your computer.
- Don’t extract both files.
- Connect your Galaxy s2 to the computer; use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Select the downloaded files and copy – paste or transfer both files from your PC to your device.
- Now you can unplug the USB cable since the computer is no longer needed.
- turn off your smartphone.
- Reboot your handset into recovery mode.
- Next, by using the recovery mode menu, first wipe the system by selecting: “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to the main menu: “+++go back+++”.
- And from the same this time select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file now and flash the same.
- Then, repeat the process and apply the Google Apps package.
- Finally, in the end select “+++go back+++”, “reboot system now” and you are done.
- Now, in case you are stuck in a boot loop you need to reboot into recovery once more and perform the wipe by selecting only “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
Well done, you are done for now. Your Samsung Galaxy S2 has become successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS as the Chameleon Custom ROM Firmware has been installed. Check the software and in case there are issues or bugs discuss with us and with other users by using the comments area from below.
if you want to learn more about the Chameleon software, go to the source page by using the link from here